Through the Causeway Challenge, we look to the wisdom of the crowd (that's you!) to help us solve some of our city's toughest challenges. We frame the problem. You propose a solution. For this round, we received nearly 90 applications that addressed the question: How can we make Chattanooga a city where people from all backgrounds live, work, play and learn together?
We have chosen five projects to receive $10,000 to support themselves and their project, as well as a 4-month experience in Causeway’s incubation program where they will test and strengthen their idea.
Download the press release here.
We are looking for ideas that bring people together from all different backgrounds. That may include: race, economic status, gender, religion, culture, generation, sexual orientation, profession and general ways of thinking.
• a 24/7 workspace at Causeway from mid June through mid October
• the support of a cohort of other people working on similar ideas
• a paid one-on-one consultant with experience related to the project
• specialized workshops planned according to the needs of each cohort
• general support from Causeway's staff
• access to Causeway’s network of pro-bono advisors
• connections and increased visibility through Causeway’s growing network of local investors, supporters, experts and advisors
• Free workspace at Society of Work 2 days a week for 2 months
• a $100 gift card to The Camp House
• Projects should be early-stage social ventures that are currently operating or in development.
• Non-profit, for profit and hybrid legal structures are acceptable as long as the work is in line with Causeway’s mission and vision.
• Leaders must show unwavering commitment to the project and achieving the project’s mission for Chattanooga.
• Leaders must be willing to give and receive feedback, criticism and support to build a stronger overall project.
• Winners must attend a mandatory orientation on June 18 from 4-8 pm.
• Winners must be available to commit 20 hours a week to their project from June 18 - mid October
• Winners will meet at least weekly with their project consultant
• Winners will briefly check in with Causeway staff weekly
April 30 - May 19: Applications Open
May 7: Join us at 7:00pm at the Bessie Smith Cultural Center to borrow some inspiration from our visiting speakers.
May 4, 11 and 18: Causeway will host open office hours Mondays from 12-1 at 16 Patten Parkway.
May 30: Semifinalists will take part in a day-long interview and prototyping process
June 4: Up to 5 winners will be announced
June 18: Winner orientation is from 4-8pm